Popcorn is fun and all, but are you excited to try this Mushroom Popcorn recipe?
Sure, it’s not really like the popcorn you’d expect, but it’s super delicious and a great new snack for movie night!
So let’s get to it.
- 300g baby button mushrooms
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup biltong dust
- 1 cup plain popcorn
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ½ lemon, zested
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (try tamari sauce as a healthier alternative)
- Olive oil for frying
- Blitz the popcorn in a food processor until you’ve made chunky crumbs.
- Mix the panko, popcorn crumbs, biltong dust, chilli flakes, sesame seeds and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a non-stick frying pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and sauté the mushrooms until they release their water and begin to brown.
- Add the soy sauce and hoisin and roll them around to glaze each one.
- Allow the sauce to reduce and become sticky.
- Toss the glazed mushrooms in the popcorn mix making sure each one is well coated.
- Serve as a snack in jars or cones at a party – or while watching your favourite movie!
Mushroom Popcorn Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.