Biltong is a South African staple. But what if you’re vegetarian or vegan? Can you recreate the flavour? Turns out you can – and this mushroom biltong recipe will help you get there!
Of course, you can buy mushroom biltong at select stores in South Africa and we’d recommend the Culture Mushrooms Biltong.
But it’s also possible to make mushroom biltong at home.
The recipe is pretty simple but you do need a fruit dehydrator to make the magic happen.
You can use any mushrooms for this, but we’ve used Portobello mushrooms for the recipe.
- 8 Portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Slice mushrooms (quite thickly).
- Combine all ingredients.
- Marinade mushrooms for 2 – 4 hours.
- Place mushrooms on a dehydrator tray.
- Dehydrate mushrooms for 6 – 8 hours (or until they’re as dry as you prefer).
- Can be kept for up to 2 weeks.
Mushroom Biltong Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.