If you’re looking for the number one spot for a casual dinner, drinks with friends, or just generally chilled vibes in the Cape Town city centre, then The Village Idiot is the place you want to be.
Covid-19 may have led to numerous changes in Cape Town’s culinary landscape, but we’re only too glad that our favourite ostrich, Oskar (the Village Idiot mascot), is back in action.
So join them for not-to-miss specials, great cocktails, and quality food at affordable prices.
But, first, a quick update on temporary changes due to Covid-19:
- Opening times have changed to Thursday – Saturdays from 17:00.
- Booking is highly recommended as the venue is operating at a limited capacity.
- Masks required upon entry and within the restaurant unless seated.
- Social distancing with 1.5 metres between guests is requested.
Luckily, Oskar the ostrich gives some guidance on this:
Top Reasons To Love The Village Idiot
Of course, The Village Idiot has been an I Love Foodies favourite for years. If you’ve followed us for a while, you’ll know that we rave about them time and time again.
That’s a testament to their consistency – no matter what changes they’ve gone through, they’ve managed to keep up the same level of awesomeness.
In today’s world, that’s worth gold.
Some things we love:
- Their fantastic decor, which is always a feast for the eyes.
- Innovative offerings, from marshmallows in winter to pool tables and tequila bars.
- The cosy interior and fireplace, perfectly snug in winter, and the chilled balcony area for balmy summer nights.
- Their excellent food with its uniquely South African twist. And edible flowers.
- The consistently excellent service and kindness of the staff.
It’s the perfect place for a fun night out, chilled late afternoon drinks, or a delicious dinner. You want it; they’ve got it.
Village Idiot Menu & Prices
If you’ve visited The Village Idiot in the past, you’ll be well familiar with their extensive menu.
Currently, however, they’re only operating with a limited menu due to Covid-19.
But that’s no reason to despair.
They’ve still got the old favourites and a few new offerings.
And the food still embodies the delicious South African braai culture.
I Love Foodies menu favourites you have to try:
- Biltong & Local Charcuterie Board (R125)
- Snack Basket with Salt & Vinegar Halloumi, Samoosas, Olives, and Pumpkin Fritters (R75)
- Baby Calamari (R75/R130)
- Hot Or Not Taxi Wings (R80/R135)
- Tata Ma Chance Pork Ribs (R80/R135)
- Lekker Boerie Burger (R115)
These prices are also indicative of the rest of the menu. Approximately, you’d be looking at an average of R60 for starters and R120 for mains.
Of the above, my personal favourites include:
- Biltong & Local Charcuterie Board (R125): Served with cashew nuts, cranberry jam, and roosterkoek, this is the best value-for-money charcuterie board I’ve ever come across.
- Lekker Boerie Burger (R115): Served with caramelised chutney onion marmalade. This burger is delightfully flavourful and massive. It comes with a divine smoked apple slaw and your choice of chips/salad/pap. The chips are great, but I always go for the salad for some extra freshness.
Drinks-wise, you can enjoy all your favourite wines, beers, cocktails, shooters, and spirits.
They also have their own in-house brewing company, Standard Beer Co.
You can try their Beer, Pilsner, Mary Jane Ale, and Lager.
The Village Idiot House Wine is pretty decent, too – and excellent value for money.
The Village Idiot Specials
The Village Idiot offers some world-class specials that are worth checking out.
Thursday – Saturday: Daily Happy Hour
You’ll get to enjoy half-price happy hour deals every day from 17:00 – 20:00 on the following drinks:
- Standard Beer Co (Lager, Pilsner, Mary Jane Ale)
- House wine
- Pouring spirits
- Olmeca tequila
Standard Beer Co is the house beer brand and is worth trying. The house wines are also decent.
Thursday: Half Price Food
This is an exceptional deal.
Get 50% off all food every Thursday, except on the first Thursday of every month for the First Thursdays celebrations.
Friday: R110 Burger & Drink Deal
No Friday would be complete without a good burger and a drink.
On Fridays, you can get any Village Idiot burger with a side and a drink of your choice for only R110.
Options include the boerie or chicken burger, paired with a glass of house wine or Standard beer.
I Love Foodies recommendation? Try the boerie burger — it’s unique and delicious!
Saturday: Half-Price Ribs & Wings
Saturdays are for feasting.
Indulge in half-price ribs and chicken wings every Saturday.
It’s a good idea to combine this with the half-price happy hour deals on beers, wine, tequila, and pouring spirits that run daily between 17:00 and 20:00.
Get The Village Idiot Merchandise
If you’re a fan of all things Oskar and The Village Idiot, then also check out The Village Idiot merchandise range, available in-store.
Merchandise includes quality-driven, limited-edition apparel featuring The Village Idiot and Aces & Spades (which unfortunately closed down last year), and you’ll find face masks, beanies, shirts, hoodies, tote bags, mugs, and more.
Proceeds are donated to The Family Fund, supporting the staff that’s lost their income during the lockdown.
The Village Idiot Contact Details
If you’re keen to check out The Village Idiot and enjoy one (or all) of their many amazing specials, then check out the full details below.
The Village Idiot
Address: 32 Loop Street, Cape Town CBD
Opening Times: Thursday – Saturday (17:00 – curfew)
Call: +27 21 418 1548
Last Updated: March 2021
All information correct at the time of publication. We do not accept any liability caused by errors, including, but not limited to, changes in price, menu, opening times, address, or other contact details.
All images, unless otherwise stated, belong to I Love Foodies and may not be used for social media, websites, or any other form of advertising. Images are available at set rates. Please contact us for details.