If you’re looking for the number one spot for a casual dinner, drinks with friends, or just chilled vibes in the Cape Town CBD, then The Village Idiot is the place you want to be.
Covid-19 may have led to many changes in Cape Town’s culinary landscape, but we’re glad that our favourite ostrich, Oskar (the Village Idiot mascot), is still in action.
So join them for not-to-miss specials, great cocktails, and quality food at affordable prices.
The Village Idiot Specials
The Village Idiot offers some world-class specials that are worth checking out.
Thursday – Saturday: Daily Happy Hour
You’ll get to enjoy half-price happy hour deals every day from opening – 19:00 on the following drinks:
- Standard Beer Co (Lager, Pilsner, Mary Jane Ale)
- House white, red, and bubbly
- Pouring spirits
- Olmeca tequila
Standard Beer Co is the house beer brand, and it’s worth trying. The house wines are also great.
Thursday: Half Price Food
This is an exceptional deal.
Get 50% off all food every Thursday, except on the first Thursday of every month for the First Thursdays celebrations.
The kitchen closes at 21:00.
Friday: R110 Burger & Drink Deal
No Friday would be complete without a good burger and a drink.
On Fridays, you can get any Village Idiot burger with coleslaw, sides, and a drink of your choice for only R110.
Burger options include:
- Boerie burger
- Grilled chicken burger
- Grilled aubergine burger
Drink options: Glass of house wine, bubbly, Standard beer, or KWV 5YO Brandy & Coke.
I Love Foodies recommendation? Try the boerie burger — it’s unique and delicious!
STAND A CHANCE TO WIN
Saturday: R300 Meal Deal
The R300 Meal Deal gets you any two mains and a bottle of house wine, bubbly or 1L Standard Beer jug.
Village Idiot Menu & Prices
If you’ve visited The Village Idiot in the past, you’ll be well familiar with their extensive menu.
Currently, however, they’re only operating with a limited menu because of Covid-19.
But that’s no reason to despair.
They’ve still got the old favourites and a few new offerings.
And the food still embodies the delicious South African braai culture.
I Love Foodies menu favourites you have to try:
- Biltong & Local Charcuterie Board (R125)
- Snack Basket with Salt & Vinegar Halloumi, Samoosas, Olives, and Pumpkin Fritters (R75)
- Baby Calamari (R80/R160)
- Hot Or Not Taxi Wings (R80/R160)
- Tata Ma Chance Pork Loin Ribs (300g – R90/600g – R180)
- Lekker Boerie Burger (R115)
These prices are also indicative of the rest of the menu.
Approximately, you’d be looking at an average of R60 for starters and R120 for mains.
Here you can view the latest Village Idiot menu from June 2021:
Of the above, my personal favourites include:
- Biltong & Local Charcuterie Board (R125): Served with cashew nuts, cranberry jam, and roosterkoek, this is the best value-for-money charcuterie board I’ve ever come across.
- Lekker Boerie Burger (R115): Served with caramelised chutney onion marmalade. This burger is delightfully flavourful and massive. It comes with a divine smoked apple slaw and your choice of chips/salad/pap. The chips are great, but I always go for the salad for some extra freshness.
Drinks-wise, you can enjoy all your favourite wines, beers, cocktails, shooters, and spirits.
They also have their own in-house brewing company, Standard Beer Co.
You can try their Beer, Pilsner, Mary Jane Ale, and Lager.
The Village Idiot House Wine is pretty decent, too – and, at R35 a glass, excellent value for money.
Top Reasons To Love The Village Idiot
Of course, The Village Idiot has been an I Love Foodies favourite for years. If you’ve followed us for a while, you’ll know that we rave about them time and time again.
That’s a testament to their consistency – no matter what changes they’ve gone through, they’ve kept up the same level of awesomeness.
In today’s world, that’s worth gold.
Some things we love:
- Their fantastic decor, which is always a feast for the eyes.
- Innovative offerings, from marshmallows in winter to pool tables and tequila bars.
- The cosy interior and fireplace, perfectly snug in winter, and the chilled balcony area for balmy summer nights.
- Their excellent food with its uniquely South African twist. And edible flowers.
- The consistently excellent service and kindness of the staff.
It’s the perfect place for a fun night out, chilled late afternoon drinks, or a delicious dinner.
You want it; they’ve got it.
Village Idiot Covid-19 Update
Some temporary Covid-19 changes:
- Restricted opening times – Thursday – Saturday.
- They highly recommended booking as the venue is operating at a limited capacity.
- Masks required upon entry and within the restaurant unless seated.
- Social distancing with 1.5 metres between guests is requested.
The Village Idiot Contact Details
If you’re keen to check out The Village Idiot in Cape Town and enjoy one (or all) of their many amazing specials, then check out the full details below.
The Village Idiot
Address: 32 Loop Street, Cape Town CBD
Opening Times: Thursday & Friday (16:00 – curfew), Saturday (15:00 – curfew)
Call: +27 21 418 1548
Last Updated: June 2021
All information correct at the time of publication. We do not accept any liability caused by errors, including, but not limited to, changes in price, menu, opening times, address, or other contact details.