The Village Idiot on Loop Street in the Cape Town CBD has always been a firm I Love Foodies favourite.
What’s not to love?
They’ve got the best specials in town, whip up great cocktails, and consistently serve quality food at affordable prices.
The Village Idiot Specials
The Village Idiot offers some world-class specials that are worth trying.
Check them out below.
Wednesday – Saturday: Daily Happy Hour
You’ll get to enjoy half-price happy hour deals every day from 18:00 – 20:00 on a couple of select drinks, including:
- Pouring spirits
The house wines are pretty fantastic.
Wednesday: R110 Pizza + Drink Deal
Enjoy one of the Village Idiot pizzas and a drink of your choice for R110.
Options may be limited.
Thursday: Half Price Food
This is an exceptional deal – and one of our favourites in the city!
Get 50% off all food every Thursday!
Exclusion: No half-price deals on the first Thursday of every month for the First Thursdays art celebrations.
Friday: R100 Burger & Drink Deal
No Friday would be complete without a good burger and a drink.
On Fridays, you can get any Village Idiot burger with coleslaw, sides, and a drink of your choice for only R110.
Burger options include:
- Boerie burger
- Grilled chicken burger
- Grilled aubergine burger
Drink options: Glass of house wine, bubbly, Standard beer, and select other options.
I Love Foodies recommendation? Try the boerie burger — it’s unique and delicious!
Saturday: R300 Meal Deal
Still one of the best deals in town.
The R300 Meal Deal gets you:
- Any two mains
- A bottle of house wine or Standard Beer jug
We’ve tried dozens of The Village Idiot mains and they’re consistently excellent!
Village Idiot Menu & Prices
If you’ve visited The Village Idiot in the past, you’ll be well familiar with their extensive menu.
The food embodies the delicious South African braai culture, but you’ll find tons of other options as well.
I Love Foodies menu favourites you have to try:
- Biltong & Local Charcuterie Board (R135)
- Hot Or Not Taxi Wings (R85/R170)
- Tata Ma Chance Pork Ribs (600g – R195)
- Boerie Burger (R135)
These prices are also indicative of the rest of the menu.
Approximately, you’d be looking at an average of R90 for starters and R150 for mains.
Of the above, personal favourites include:
- Biltong & Local Charcuterie Board (R135): Served with cashew nuts, cranberry jam, and roosterkoek, this is the best value-for-money charcuterie board around.
- Boerie Burger (R135): Served with caramelised chutney onion marmalade. This burger is delightfully flavourful and massive. It comes with a divine smoked apple slaw and your choice of chips/salad/pap. The chips are great, but you can also choose the salad for some extra freshness.
Drinks-wise, you can enjoy all your favourite wines, beers, cocktails, shooters, and spirits.
The Village Idiot also has its own in-house brewing company, Standard Beer Co.
The Village Idiot House Wine is pretty decent, too – and excellent value for money.
Top Reasons To Love The Village Idiot
Of course, The Village Idiot has been an I Love Foodies favourite for years. If you’ve followed us for a while, you’ll know that we rave about them time and time again.
That’s a testament to their consistency – no matter what changes they’ve gone through, they’ve kept up the same level of awesomeness.
In today’s world, that’s worth gold.
Some things we love:
- Their fantastic decor, which is always a feast for the eyes.
- Innovative offerings, from marshmallows in winter to pool tables and tequila bars.
- The cosy interior and fireplace, perfectly snug in winter, and the chilled balcony area for balmy summer nights.
- Their excellent food with its uniquely South African twist. And edible flowers.
- The consistently excellent service and kindness of the staff.
It’s the perfect place for a fun night out, chilled early evening drinks, or a delicious dinner.
You want it; they’ve got it.
The Village Idiot Contact Details
If you’re keen to check out The Village Idiot in Cape Town and enjoy one (or all) of their many amazing specials, then check out the full details below.
The Village Idiot
Address: 32 Loop Street, Cape Town CBD
Opening Times: Wednesday – Saturday (18:00 – 04:00)
Call: +27 21 418 1548
Last Updated: June 2023
All information correct at the time of publication. We do not accept any liability caused by errors, including, but not limited to, changes in price, menu, opening times, address, or other contact details.