This Vegan Cauliflower Soup recipe with turmeric roasted mushrooms is a fabulous recipe for cooler days or a great appetiser to a larger meal.
This recipe serves 6 – 8 people.
Did you know? If you buy fresh mushrooms in a pink punnet from Pick ‘n Pay in October, R1 of each purchase will go to Reach for Recovery, a charity assisting women suffering from breast cancer. It’s a worthy cause that won’t cost the consumer a cent more.
- 75g raw cashew nuts
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 kg cauliflower, roughly chopped, stem included
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 x 400 g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 500g mixed cultivated mushrooms, sliced into similar ±5cm pieces
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 – 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- Place cashew nuts in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Set aside.
How to make cauliflower soup:
- Heat a generous drizzle of olive oil in a medium pot.
- Add the onion and cook until very soft.
- Add the garlic and cook briefly until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower and turmeric and stir everything together well.
- Pour in the chicken stock and drained beans.
- Add the thyme sprigs loose or bundled up with kitchen string for easy removal.
- Bring everything to a simmer and cook until the cauliflower is tender.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs.
- Add the soaked cashew nuts, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Transfer soup mixture to a high powered blender carefully, and blend on high until very creamy. (Alternatively, use a stick blender in the pot.)
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
How to make roast mushrooms:
- Heat oven to 220˚C with the fan on.
- Place mushrooms in a bowl and season with salt, pepper, turmeric, thyme and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Toss to mix well.
- Spread mushrooms out in a single layer on a large baking tray.
- Roast for 5 minutes until golden but retain some nice bite.
- Ladle the silky hot soup into bowls and top generously with golden-roasted mushrooms.
- Finish with an extra drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with some rustic chunky sourdough on the side and enjoy!
Vegan Cauliflower Soup Recipe Notes
This Vegan Cauliflower Soup Recipe is courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA), a group of farmers who grow and love mushrooms.
They share their passion by promoting all varieties of mushrooms, creating unique recipes that showcase the many flavour profiles of mushrooms, and engaging in charity campaigns that make the world a better place.
These powerful little foods are packed with nutrients and fibres, have very few calories, and are an excellent source of plant protein. If spiced right, they even make a great meat replacement!
We’ve shared dozens of SAMFA recipes, which you can access in our full Recipes Archive. You may just find your next delicious meal there!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored recipe that also contains some independent affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your love and support.