For a delicious main meal or decadent side, try this Roasted Mushroom and Asparagus Salad recipe with soft-boiled eggs and a herb vinaigrette.
This salad recipe serves 4.
- 45 ml red wine vinegar
- 30 ml fresh lemon juice
- 45 ml olive oil
- 4 Tbsp fresh soft herbs, chopped (basil, coriander & Italian parsley work well)
- 1 tsp honey
Other salad ingredients:
- 8 large portobello mushrooms, whole
- 350 g asparagus, ends trimmed
- 4 XL free-range eggs, room temperature
- Watercress, to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to make a herb vinaigrette:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
How to prepare the vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 200˚C, fan on.
- Place portobellos on a baking tray.
- Spoon a little of the vinaigrette onto the mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, depending on size, until tender and juicy.
- While the mushrooms are baking, bring a pot of salted water to the boil.
- Prepare an ice bath and have it ready next to the stove.
- Lower the asparagus into the boiling water.
- Cook for about 1 minute, depending on the thickness of the stems.
- Using tongs, remove the asparagus and plunge into ice water for a few minutes until cool.
- Drain and dry the asparagus on a clean kitchen towel.
How to make soft-boiled eggs:
- Using the same boiling water – add the 4 eggs gently and stir well to keep the yolks in the centre.
- Set a timer for 6.5 minutes.
- Refresh the ice bath if necessary.
- When the timer goes off, plunge the eggs immediately into the ice bath and leave them until cool enough to handle easily.
- Peel the eggs and set aside until serving.
- Slice the portobellos into halves or quarters.
- Plate along with the asparagus.
- Slice the eggs in half and dot around the serving platter. Season.
- Tuck the nutrient-dense watercress in and around the plated veg and eggs for a pop of green and a good dose of antioxidants.
- Drizzle everything with the herb vinaigrette and serve!
Roasted Mushroom And Asparagus Salad Recipe Notes
This Roasted Mushroom and Asparagus Salad Recipe is courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA), a group of farmers who grow and love mushrooms.
They share their passion by promoting all varieties of mushrooms, creating unique recipes that showcase the many flavour profiles of mushrooms, and engaging in charity campaigns that make the world a better place.
These powerful little foods are packed with nutrients and fibres, have very few calories, and are an excellent source of plant protein. If spiced right, they even make a great meat replacement!
We’ve shared dozens of SAMFA recipes, which you can access in our full Recipes Archive. You may just find your next delicious meal there!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored recipe that also contains some independent affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your love and support.