We love a good braai. Meat, some boerewors, toasties, mushrooms, pineapple – that’s what braai dreams are made of! But in an effort to keep things fresh and interesting, we’re gonna spend some time looking at more interesting braai recipes, as brought to you by the Ultimate Braai Master competition. So, let’s get cracking with this beef braai pie recipe!
Beef Braai Pie
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Braai Time: 8 minutes
- Serves: 6
- 3 Sheets of Puff Pastry
- 1kg Beef Shin, cubed
- 1 cup of Red Wine
- 100g Fresh Spinach
- 150g White Button Mushrooms
- 2 Red Onions
- 2 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Mixed Peppercorns
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- a pinch of Coarse Salt
- 50ml KWV Brandy
- 100ml Water
- 200ml Fresh Cream
- 50ml Canola Oil
- Heat a pan over moderate coals, add a splash of oil and then add the beef. Season with salt and pepper, then seal the meat on all sides.
- In a mortar and pestle, grind up the peppercorns and coriander seeds, then stir it through the meat.
- Add the remainder of the spices and the onion.
- Fry until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the red wine and scrape away some coals. Allow the sauce to simmer and reduce by about half, then add a shot of brandy.
- Stir through the spinach, cream and mushrooms, then let it all simmer until it’s reduced again and the sauce has thickened and the meat is cooked.
- Roll out a sheet of puff pastry on to a clean surface and cut it in half. Scoop the cooked meat on to each sheet of pastry, then spread it out into one thick layer, but keep the edges of the pastry clean.
- Whisk the egg, then brush the edges of the pastry thoroughly.
- Take another sheet of pastry and place it over the top of the meat.
- Using your hands, push the edges together to seal the meat inside.
- Wrap the individual pies in cling wrap, then place them on ice in a cooler box to cool down while you get the coals ready.
- When you have moderate to cool coals, pop the pies into a sandwich grid, and place it over the coals.
- Braai the one side until golden, then do the same on the other side.
- When your pies are crispy and golden on the outside, remove from the heat and serve.
And there you go, the ultimate beef braai pie! Enjoy and stay tuned the next few weeks for more braai recipes!