Try this delicious vegetarian Portabello Schwarma recipe for a simple yet tasty meal.
This recipe serves 4.
- 8 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 200g double cream plain yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 Tbsp sumac
- 1 Tbsp flaky sea salt
- 100g feta, crumbled
- ½ red onion, sliced finely
- 4 large pita breads
- Shredded lettuce
- Large pickles/gherkins, sliced
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine all the mushroom seasoning ingredients into a spice paste mix. Brush all over the mushrooms.
- Thread the portabellos onto a large metal skewer. Place on the grill and cook, rotating often, until the mushrooms are tender and charred on all sides.
- Whisk yoghurt and garlic together.
- Mix sumac and salt together.
- Just before the mushrooms are cooked, place pitas onto the grill and toast lightly.
- Serve the mushroom shawarma by slicing it thinly off the skewer.
- Serve onto grilled pitas swished with garlic yoghurt and top with lettuce, red onion, feta and pickles.
- Sprinkle everything with sumac salt, and enjoy!
Portabello Schwarma Recipe
This Portabello Schwarma Recipe is courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA), a group of farmers who grow and love mushrooms.
They share their passion by promoting all varieties of mushrooms, creating unique recipes that showcase the many flavour profiles of mushrooms, and engaging in charity campaigns that make the world a better place.
These powerful little foods are packed with nutrients and fibres, have very few calories, and are an excellent source of plant protein. If spiced right, they even make a great meat replacement!
We’ve shared dozens of SAMFA recipes, which you can access in our full Recipes Archive. You may just find your next delicious meal there!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored recipe that also contains some independent affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your love and support.