A few weeks ago, I had a sudden craving for basil pesto. So browsing through the aisles of the supermarket, I saw the pesto I wanted to buy. There were three jars left. Excited, I rushed towards the shelves – only to watch a lady snag up all three jars right in front of me. I was devastated. And have been wanting nothing but pesto since. Luckily, my dreams were answered when a few jars of Pesto Princess landed up on my doorstep. I promptly made my way to the kitchen and concocted this delicious Pesto Chicken Pasta recipe.
Why Pesto Princess? Ok, firstly, because it’s insanely delicious and possibly one of the best pesto brands in the world. The media drop was in celebration of their new bulk freezer tubs. These are great as you can use them as needed while ensuring that the pesto stays fresh and delicious. I’ve used their basil pesto, but other Pesto Princess goodies include Thai Pesto, Chimichurri Sauce, Sundried Tomato Pesto, Harissa Paste, and so much more. Pesto Princess is available at supermarkets nationwide and online at Buyfresh, Mother City Fish, and Granadilla Eats.
Now, I’ll be honest, before making this recipe, I attended an online cooking class with Chef Jenny Morris and the basis of the chicken preparation in this recipe stems from her. My sister, Sabine, also frequently grills cheese with her chicken, which I’ve found most delicious. This recipe combines these two chicken preparation methods and mixes it all with pasta and pesto.
The recipe is enough for two, but feel free to double up on ingredients to cook for a larger family.
- Basil pesto (I used the Pesto Princess basil pesto)
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips, or the equivalent of chicken stir fry
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon olive oil (I used the Willow Creek lemon-flavoured olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- Spaghetti, as desired
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- Rub the chicken breast with the lemon olive oil, crushed garlic, and paprika. Spice with salt and pepper.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and cook chicken breasts until golden and cooked through.
- Once done, cover chicken with cheese. Let melt and get crunchy, as desired. Once done, pull apart into pieces.
- Cook spaghetti.
- Mix together spaghetti, chicken, and desired amount of basil pesto.
Want more pesto recipes? Try these:
Pesto Chicken Pasta Notes
I Love Foodies creates tons of original recipes, mostly done by Kassandra Bruni in the UK. Keen to check some of these out? We’ve recently completed recipe collaborations with Ciao Gusto (Vegan Lasagna), Sous Chef (Beetroot Wild Rice, South-East Asian Chicken Stew, Miso Aubergine) and Buy Whole Foods Online (Mince Pies, Amaretto Date Balls, Honey Cinnamon Oat Flour Cake).
Also check out our full Recipes Archive.