Have you ever made your own vegan/vegetarian burger patty from scratch? This great Mushroom Quinoa Burger recipe will help you achieve just that. It’s not fully vegan but can quickly be amended to be 100% vegan – notes below. So try your hand at making your own patties and enjoying these homemade burgers.
Best served with red wine for that hearty goodness. Try the Blacksmith Wines Limbo Red, as recommended by the South African Mushroom Farmers Association.
Recipe serves 4.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- One small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (from about ½ cup uncooked)
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 4 burger buns of choice, toasted
- Lettuce, mayonnaise*, cucumber ribbons, red onion slices, bean sprouts
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- to taste
*Use vegan mayonnaise to keep this recipe 100% vegan.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prick sweet potato all over with a fork, rub with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast directly on an oven rack until tender, 45-60 minutes. (Place a baking tray below to catch any drippings) Allow to cool. Remove and discard skin & mash flesh with a fork. Set aside.
- Roughly chop portobello mushrooms and blitz in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over low heat. Cook shallot and chilli flakes, until shallot is tender. Add mushrooms and cook until they have released all of their liquid. Transfer to a large bowl. Mix in quinoa and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Add breadcrumbs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and mashed sweet potato and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Divide mixture into 4 and form into patties, pressing firmly together with your hands. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium and cook patties until golden brown and the edges are crisp.
- Build burgers with all the fixings and serve straight away.
Want more mushroom recipes? Try these:
Mushroom Quinoa Burger Notes
I Love Foodies also creates original recipes. Keen to check some of these out? We’ve recently completed recipe collaborations with Ciao Gusto (Vegan Lasagna), Sous Chef (Vegan Banoffee Pie, Butter Bean Dip, South-East Asian Chicken Stew) and Buy Whole Foods Online (Mince Pies, Amaretto Date Balls, Honey Cinnamon Oat Flour Cake).
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.