Patatas Bravas are cool and all, but have you tried Mushroom Bravas? This Mushroom Bravas recipe mixes up the Spanish original and adds in delicious white button mushrooms for varying textures.
What are Patatas Bravas?
Also called patatas a la brava or papas bravas, Patatas Bravas translated to “spicy potatoes”. It is a native Spanish dish and consists of cubed white potatoes fried in oil and served with a spicy sauce.
They’re often served as part of a tapas selection, but you can also enjoy them as a common side dish.
This mushroom bravas recipe calls for a tapas or snack version of the dish. Best enjoyed with a G&T cocktail or two.
- 500g white button mushrooms
- 500g potatoes
- Neutral oil for deep-frying
- Fine sea salt
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
For the sauce:
- 400g tin Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha
To make the sauce:
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for serving.
To make the mushroom & patatas bravas:
- Peel and dice the potatoes into 2 cm cubes.
- Pre-cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling water until just tender. Drain.
- Heat neutral oil over medium-high heat until a thermometer reads 200°C. Transfer potatoes to oil in batches and cook until golden brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes onto a paper towel and sprinkle with fine sea salt.
- Cut the button mushrooms into quarters and repeat the frying process until they are golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt while still hot.
- Toss the mushrooms and potatoes together with the chopped parsley.
- Pile onto plates and serve with plenty of spicy sauce for dipping.
Mushroom Bravas Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.