Try this easy Mushroom Miso Soup recipe as your next go-to tasty meal!
Miso is an exotic ingredient (rich in umami) that you’ll use for all kinds of incredible dishes once you buy it – and fall in love with it.
This brothy soup is packed with flavour and it’s incredibly easy to make. It’s a great go-to lunch option or a quick dinner choice.
Add more vegetables, strips of cooked chicken, or even noodles if you’re very hungry.
This recipe serves 2.
- 10 ml sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 knob fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 10 ml miso paste
- 250 ml portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 15 ml soy sauce (or try tamari as a healthier alternative)
- A small bunch of spring onions, sliced, to serve
- A small punnet of bean sprouts, to serve (optional)
- Sliced fresh red chilli, to serve (optional)
- A shredded nori sheet, to serve (optional)
- Some sesame seeds, for serving (optional)
- Fresh coriander or micro herbs, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium-size pot, then fry the garlic, ginger and miso paste for a minute, stirring.
- Add the mushrooms, stock and soy sauce, and stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, then cook for 6-8 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Serve hot in bowls, topped with spring onions, bean sprouts, red chilli, nori, sesame and herbs (or toppings of your choice).
Mushroom Miso Soup Recipe Notes
This Mushroom Miso Soup Recipe is courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA), a group of farmers who grow and love mushrooms.
They share their passion by promoting all varieties of mushrooms, creating unique recipes that showcase the many flavour profiles of mushrooms, and engaging in charity campaigns that make the world a better place.
These powerful little foods are packed with nutrients and fibres, have very few calories, and are an excellent source of plant protein. If spiced right, they even make a great meat replacement!
We’ve shared dozens of SAMFA recipes, which you can access in our full Recipes Archive. You may just find your next delicious meal there!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored recipe that also contains some independent affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your love and support.