This Mushroom Grain Bowl recipe, with pickled cauliflower and green goddess dressing, is sure to spice up your bowl life.
Just last week we chatted about why bowls are so popular in our Curried Mushroom & Kale Quinoa Bowl recipe.
They contain dozens of healthy ingredients, are generally simple to make, and are perfectly Instagrammable.
So let’s get to it.
This recipe serves 4-6.
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup packed fresh herbs (chives, coriander, parsley and dill work very well together)
- ¼ cup spring onions, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small clove garlic, roughly chopped
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
Quick pickled cauliflower:
- 300g cauliflower florets
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 4 cups mixed grains, cooked (farro, spelt, barley & wild rice work very well together)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 500g mixed mushrooms, white buttons, portabellinis & baby buttons
- 170g fresh asparagus spears, very lightly blanched
- 110g shelled edamame beans
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup spring onions, thinly sliced
- Fennel fronds or fresh dill, to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, food processor or Nutribullet.
- Process until smooth, adding a splash of ice-cold water to thin it out until you’ve reached the desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Scrape it into a jar and keep it in the fridge.
For the pickled cauliflower:
- Combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Slice off the pretty top bits of the cauliflower florets and discard the thick stems.
- Add trimmed cauliflower to a heat-proof jar or bowl.
- Pour over the pickling liquid and allow it to cool.
- Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
For the bowls:
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and cook, tossing them often until just tender and golden brown. Season.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the grains, mushrooms, asparagus spears, edamame beans, lemon zest, lemon juice and spring onions. Toss.
- Spoon into bowls. Scatter over some pickled cauliflower.
- Top with fennel fronds or dill and finally a generous drizzle of green goddess dressing.
Mushroom Grain Bowl Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.