Try this Mushroom Chakalaka recipe as the perfect side or accompaniment to a range of dishes.
Serves up to 8 as a side.
- 500 g portabellini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp / thumb sized piece ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp curry powder (mild, medium, or hot)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How To Make Chakalaka – Method
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large deep sauté pan.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Add the onion and a good pinch of salt. Fry until tender.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the bell peppers and carrots and mix well.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes and rinse the tin out with about half a cup of water and add it in.
- Simmer everything together for ± 15 minutes until the flavours are well melded.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Serve alongside your favourite meat dishes and enjoy!
Mushroom Chakalaka Recipe Notes
This Mushroom Chakalaka Recipe is courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA), a group of farmers who grow and love mushrooms.
They share their passion by promoting all varieties of mushrooms, creating unique recipes that showcase the many flavour profiles of mushrooms, and engaging in charity campaigns that make the world a better place.
These powerful little foods are packed with nutrients and fibres, have very few calories, and are an excellent source of plant protein. If spiced right, they even make a great meat replacement!
We’ve shared dozens of SAMFA recipes, which you can access in our full Recipes Archive. You may just find your next delicious meal there!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored recipe that also contains some independent affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your love and support.