Avocado toast is the breakfast of the decade, and this mushroom avocado toast recipe adds a delightful twist to a fan favourite.
Traditionally, an avocado toast is made with mashed avo, salt, pepper, and citrus juice. It has appeared on menus since the 1990s but only became insanely popular since 2010. Since then, it has become the food trend of the decade, often criticised for being overpriced. It is rather simple to recreate at home, though, and surprisingly nutritious.
This recipe calls for a wholewheat toast with guacamole and lemony-fried mushrooms. The recipe makes two delicious toasts. Feel free to adjust portion sizes as necessary.
- 1 avocado, mashed
- ½ tomato, deseeded and diced
- ½ red chilli, chopped (optional)
- Salt and milled black pepper
- 15ml oil
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- 5ml paprika
- 5ml lemon zest
- 10ml lemon juice
- 2 slices wholewheat toast
- 15ml fresh thyme or parsley, chopped
- Mix the avocado, tomato and chilli, if using, in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Season with the paprika, lemon zest and juice.
- Divide the guacamole between the toasts and top with the fried mushroom mixture.
- Garnish with fresh thyme or parsley.
Mushroom Avocado Toast Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.