Try this delicious Grilled Mushroom, Chicken & Papaya Salad for a yummy summer meal or anytime side salad.
This recipe serves 4.
- 400g portabello mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 small chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 small papaya, peeled, deseeded and sliced
- 4 Tbsp roasted peanuts, salted, chopped
- 1 small red chilli, sliced
- 1-2 red chillies (depending on how hot you like it), finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar or palm sugar
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the dressing: In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients. Whisk to mix well. Taste to adjust seasoning and set aside.
- Heat a large griddle pan on high heat.
- Toss the mushrooms with a drizzle of olive oil and then place on the griddle pan. Press them down with a metal spatula to get nice grill marks. Cook until just tender and retain some bite.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the chicken, cucumber, coriander, mint and papaya.
- Add the grilled mushrooms.
- Drizzle everything with a little dressing and toss gently to combine.
- Scatter with the roasted peanuts and sliced chilli.
- Serve with extra dressing on the side and enjoy!
Grilled Mushroom, Chicken & Papaya Salad Notes
This Grilled Mushroom, Chicken & Papaya Salad recipe is courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA), a group of farmers who grow and love mushrooms.
They share their passion by promoting all varieties of mushrooms, creating unique recipes that showcase the many flavour profiles of mushrooms, and engaging in charity campaigns that make the world a better place.
These powerful little foods are packed with nutrients and fibres, have very few calories, and are an excellent source of plant protein. If spiced right, they even make a great meat replacement!
You can check out SAMFA’s social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for all their latest updates.
We’ve shared dozens of SAMFA recipes, which you can access in our full Recipes Archive. You may just find your next delicious meal there!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored recipe that also contains some independent affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your love and support.