Classic Caprese salad is already great, but this BBQ-Grilled Mushroom Caprese Salad recipe just adds that additional twist of deliciousness.
What is a Caprese salad?
Caprese salad is a simple Italian salad that combines the colours of the Italian flag (green, white, and red). It features sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and sweet basil, seasoned wit salt and olive oil.
This recipe simply adds a slight twist and incorporates bbq-grilled portabello mushrooms for additional tasty and umami flavour.
You’ll see the word ‘bbq’ and ‘braai’ used interchangeably in the recipe below. Braai is the South African term for a barbeque – and, as a South African team developed this recipe, it’s the more commonly used word.
But a barbecue and a braai are the same (though probably all South Africans would swear that a braai is much tastier).
- 500g portabello mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 300 g vine tomatoes
- 300 g exotic tomatoes
- 250 g buffalo mozzarella
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your braai and allow coals or wood to burn down. Or preheat a gas bbq on medium.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp chopped basil, salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and vine tomatoes. Toss to coat and allow to marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Grill the mushrooms and vine tomatoes until cooked through and the skins begin to wrinkle. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly. Slice the mushrooms into 1 cm wide slices.
- Slice the fresh tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and tear the mozzarella into small pieces.
- On a large platter, combine the tomatoes (both fresh and grilled), mushrooms, mozzarella and basil.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Finish with flaky salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
BBQ-Grilled Mushroom Caprese Salad Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.