Last week for Green Monday we got on to the soup craze with this delicious Beet Soup, but we couldn’t stop the soup train there. So this week we have a yummy SA-style Vegan Butternut Soup for you! Enjoy!
- 1 medium sized butternut, peeled, de-seeded and chopped into pieces (smaller pieces will cook faster)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Slow-cook onions in olive oil until transparent, for about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and gently stir through the onions.
- Add the butternut and coat with the onion mixture. Cook with the lid on for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, salt and pepper to taste. The liquid should cover the butternut. Bring to the boil with the lid on.
- Transfer to your lined Keep It Bag, close and leave for 2 – 4 hours. If you don’t have a Keep It Bag, continue to boil on stove.
- When soft, use a stick blender and blend till smooth. Or try a potato masher during load shedding.
- For added flavour and nourishment, add a fresh chilli salsa of chopped tomato, onion, chilli, and fresh coriander.
Recipe courtesy of Project 90 by 2030 for HSI / Africa.