Lasagna is everyone’s favourite comfort food – but try this double mushroom lasagna recipe for a whole new level of comfort!
Recipe serves 8.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 500g brown mushrooms or portabellinis, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 700ml tomato passata
- 250g lasagne sheets
- 40g grated parmesan
- 1 litre milk
- 75g butter
- 75g flour
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- Olive oil
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Add the lasagne sheets and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and set aside in a single layer.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown and soften. Add carrot and celery and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is released and mushrooms are browned. Season well with salt, pepper, and Italian herbs.
- Pour in the tomato passata and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until the sauce is thick.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk for a few minutes until the mixture smells like biscuits and is lightly golden.
- Very gradually pour the milk into the mixture and whisk constantly until smooth.
- Add nutmeg, season well, and simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- Set aside.
- Fry off the large slices of portobellos on high heat in a drizzle of olive oil. Season lightly.
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- To assemble the lasagne, spoon half the mushroom sauce into the baking dish, scatter with some slices of portabellos, and spread with one-third of bechamel. Cover with pasta sheets, then repeat with the remaining mushroom mixture, more portabellos, and one more third of the bechamel. Cover with more pasta sheets.
- Finish the lasagne with the final layer of bechamel and scatter with parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Double Mushroom Lasagna Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.