This Chicken Mushroom Pot Pie Recipe is bound to impress – and hit those cravings.
This recipe makes 4 large individual pies.
- 1 small whole free-range chicken, ± 1kg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 50g flour
- 500ml chicken stock
- 250ml full cream milk
- 80g fresh or frozen peas (about ½ a cup)
- 500g mixed cultivated mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x 400g roll store-bought puff pastry
- 1 large egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Rub chicken all over with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place in a roasting dish and roast for ± 60 minutes until cooked through. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and discard the skin. (You can use the bones for creating wonderful homemade chicken stock.)
- Heat butter and olive oil in a Dutch oven or deep sauté pan.
- Add the onion, leek and celery – cook until tender.
- Add the garlic, dried herbs and fresh thyme. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute, coating the vegetables well.
- Pour in the chicken stock, stirring quickly as you go to incorporate the flour into the liquid.
- Add the milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the peas and the shredded chicken. Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Sauté mushrooms, in batches if necessary, until they’re golden brown and have released all of their liquid. Season lightly.
- Fold golden brown mushrooms into the rest of the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Select four large ramekins, baking dishes, or little cast iron mini pots or mini pans.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry slightly and cut out pie lids using the ramekins to measure.
- Fill the dishes with the chicken and mushroom filling.
- Top with the puff pastry, and press the edges down to seal against the ramekins.
- Cut four little slits into each pie crust.
- Brush all over with egg wash.
- Bake for ± 35 minutes until the puff pastry is deeply golden, cooked through, and perfectly crispy.
- Serve pies with a light side salad, and enjoy!
Chicken Mushroom Pot Pie Recipe
This Chicken Mushroom Pot Pie Recipe is courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA), a group of farmers who grow and love mushrooms.
They share their passion by promoting all varieties of mushrooms, creating unique recipes that showcase the many flavour profiles of mushrooms, and engaging in charity campaigns that make the world a better place.
These powerful little foods are packed with nutrients and fibres, have very few calories, and are an excellent source of plant protein. If spiced right, they even make a great meat replacement!
We’ve shared dozens of SAMFA recipes, which you can access in our full Recipes Archive. You may just find your next delicious meal there!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored recipe that also contains some independent affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your love and support.