This Asparagus Open Party Pie Recipe with mushrooms and pancetta will be your next dinner part hit, for sure.
The recipe makes 8 open pies.
- 250ml full cream milk
- 30g butter
- 20g flour
- Large pinch salt
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Sprinkle of ground nutmeg
- 2 x 250g puff pastry sheets
- 100g pancetta, sliced in half
- 150g asparagus spears, 16 spears
- 250g baby Portabellini or baby button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 40g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the béchamel:
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan over low heat (do not let any evaporate).
- Melt the better in a second, slightly larger saucepan. When melted, add the flour.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly. The mixture should not darken but turn very lightly golden and smell like biscuits.
- Slowly pour in the warm milk, whisking constantly to keep the sauce smooth.
- Cook, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Season generously with salt and add the mustard powder and nutmeg to taste.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with cling film on the surface to avoid creating skin.
- Set aside in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 200˚C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Sauté the mushrooms on high heat until golden brown.
- Season lightly and remove from the heat.
- Thaw the puff pastry and cut each sheet into quarters so you have 8 squares.
- Place them diagonally so they look diamond-shaped on the lined tray.
- Spread a good dollop of béchamel on each piece of pastry, spreading it from the bottom corner to the top corner.
- Follow with a few pieces of pancetta and two spears of asparagus.
- Dot the cooked mushrooms over each piece.
- Finish with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
- Fold up the two side corners and seal them, using a little bit of water on your fingertips.
- Egg wash the open pies and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with some lightly dressed micro greens and enjoy!
Asparagus Open Party Pie Recipe
This Asparagus Open Party Pie Recipe is courtesy of the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association (SAMFA), a group of farmers who grow and love mushrooms.
They share their passion by promoting all varieties of mushrooms, creating unique recipes that showcase the many flavour profiles of mushrooms, and engaging in charity campaigns that make the world a better place.
These powerful little foods are packed with nutrients and fibres, have very few calories, and are an excellent source of plant protein. If spiced right, they even make a great meat replacement!
We’ve shared dozens of SAMFA recipes, which you can access in our full Recipes Archive. You may just find your next delicious meal there!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored recipe that also contains some independent affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your love and support.