Vegan Tempura Battered Mushroom Recipe
We’ve got some crunchy and a little naughty deliciousness for you today with this Vegan Tempura Battered Mushroom recipe. You can also replace the mushrooms with any veggies of your choice, but mushrooms are always a winner.
Don’t forget to also check out our full Vegan Archives here.
For the tempura batter:
- 1/3 cup of cake flour
- 1 heaped tablespoon of corn flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of soda
- 2/3 cup of ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of tomato jam
- 4 tablespoons of reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or rice vinegar
- 2 cm small piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1 small red chili chopped
- Olive oil
- Mushrooms slices (or any other raw vegetables such as carrots, zucchini, cauliflower or broccoli)
- Make the batter: Sift dry ingredients together and then carefully whisk in the wet ingredients.
- Make the sauce: Blend everything till smooth and heat up over low heat on the stove.
- Dip your sliced vegetables in the tempura batter and cover well with the mixture.
- Add a tiny bit of olive oil to a hot pan and fry your dipped mushrooms until golden brown.
- Transfer the mushrooms to kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce on the side.
Photo and recipe credit: Pieter Kotze. Courtesy of HSI/Africa.