Vegan Red Lentil Coconut Curry Recipe
This week for Green Monday, we’re looking at another winter warmer with this Vegan Red Lentil Coconut Curry Recipe!!! Don’t forget that you can check out the full I Love Foodies Vegan Archives here.
Serves 6 to 8.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, peeled, fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- One teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh jalapeño chilli, finely chopped (discard seeds)
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups dried red lentils
- 400ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 450g (about 2 medium-sized) baby marrow, diced into small pieces
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander sprigs
- Cook the onion in oil in a heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the edges are golden (about 6 minutes).
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic, and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Then add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and chilli and continue cooking for another minute, continuing to stir.
- Stir in the water, lentils, and coconut milk. Let the mixture simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the zucchini and simmer, covered, until the lentils and baby marrow are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve with coriander sprigs scattered on top.
Variation: Substitute chopped kale for the zucchini, if desired.