Vegan Red Lentil Coconut Curry Recipe
Serves 6 to 8.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, peeled, fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- One teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh jalapeño chilli, finely chopped (discard seeds)
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups dried red lentils
- 400ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 450g (about 2 medium-sized) baby marrow, diced into small pieces
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander sprigs
- Cook the onion in oil in a heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the edges are golden (about 6 minutes).
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic, and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Then add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and chilli and continue cooking for another minute, continuing to stir.
- Stir in the water, lentils, and coconut milk. Let the mixture simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the zucchini and simmer, covered, until the lentils and baby marrow are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve with coriander sprigs scattered on top.
Variation: Substitute chopped kale for the zucchini, if desired.