Vegan Pasta And Fried Courgettes Recipe
This week for Green Monday, we’re looking at this Vegan Pasta & Fried Courgettes Recipe. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to also check out our full Vegan Archives here.
- ⅔ cup sunflower or olive oil (for frying)
- 3 medium courgettes, cut into ½-centimetre-thick slices
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup frozen edamame beans
- 2 cups basil leaves, shredded coarsely
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 30 g penne (or pasta of choice)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ tablespoons small capers
- Heat the sunflower or olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Fry the courgette slices in a few batches, making sure you don’t crowd them, for 4 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides; turn them over once only.
- As the courgette slices are cooked, transfer the slices to a colander to drain. Tip the slices into a bowl, pour the vinegar over them, and stir. Then set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the edamame for 3 minutes; drain, refresh under running cold water, and set aside to dry.
- Combine half the basil, all of the parsley, and ⅓ cup of the olive oil in a food processor, adding a bit of salt and pepper. Blitz to a smooth sauce.
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the noodles, rinse under a stream of cold water, and return to the pot in which it was cooked.
- Pour the courgettes and its juices over the pasta. Add the edamame, basil sauce, lemon zest, and capers. Stir gently together, then taste and season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Before serving, stir in the remaining basil.