Vegan Mushroom Pie Recipe
It’s Green Monday Time! This week we’re checking out this delicious Vegan Mushroom Pie Recipe! Serves 8. But you might just wanna keep it for yourself. Heehee. Also check out our full Vegan Archives.
- 1 450g red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons Ole medium fat spread (vegan margarine)
- 1/2 cup (115ml) unsweetened soy milk
- 2 carrots, sliced and quartered
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 170g mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup (225g) peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups (450g) chopped kale, chard or spinach
- 1 cup (225g) cooked lentils, any variety
- 1 1/2 cups (340ml) red wine
- 2 cups (450ml) vegetable broth (stock)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes with the skins on in salted water until fork tender, about 25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and peel if desired. Place the potatoes back in the pot with the margarine spread and mash with a potato masher, adding the soy milk 1/4 cup (60ml) at a time until desired consistency is met. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a large pot, sauté the carrots and onions in the olive oil. After 3 minutes, add in the mushrooms and continue to sauté until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and mix well until a paste has formed. Add in the wine and broth, stirring constantly, until the flour has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the kale, peas, lentils, soy sauce, tomato paste, garlic and oregano. Stir and continue cooking on a light simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until the mixture reduces to a thick, stew-like consistency.
- Pour into a 9×9 baking dish and top with the mashed potatoes. Bake at 200 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden.
Recipe and photography courtesy of Leslie Durso via HSI, Africa.