Vegan Mac And Cheeseburger Recipe
This week for Green Monday, we’re looking at a rather interesting recipe that will get your tastebuds excited: A Vegan Mac And Cheeseburger Recipe! Intrigued? You betcha!
This recipe serves 6.
Don’t forget that you can browse through our full Vegan Archives here.
- 225g elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 225g seitan, finely minced (see notes below)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup firm tofu, drained
- 1½ cups plain unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ¼ cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- Teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling salted water until it is al dente, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the seitan and cook until browned. Add the soy sauce, stirring to coat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, process the tofu until smooth.
- Add the non-dairy milk, broth, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, lemon juice, mustard, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 190° C. Lightly oil a large baking dish and set aside.
- Drain the cooked macaroni and return it to the pot.
- Add the reserved seitan and the sauce mixture and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, top with the breadcrumbs, and bake until hot and the crumbs are nicely browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Instead of using seitan, you can substitute crumbled sautéed tempeh, veggie burger crumbles, or three chopped “meaty” veggie burgers.
- Add some cooked chopped broccoli for a complete meal in one baking dish.
Recipe from Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertston. Photograph by Meredith Lee/The HSUS. Recipe courtesy of HSI Africa.