Vegan Lentil Burger Recipe
This week for Green Monday, we’re going vegan old school with this Vegan Lentil Burger Recipe. Don’t forget to also check out our full Vegan Archives here.
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Combine the flax meal and water in a small saucepan and boil for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the lentils, beans, breadcrumbs, onions, oil, spices, salt, and pepper. Add the binder and mix well.
- Divide into six parts and shape into patties.
- Fry in a lightly oiled pan on medium-high heat for five to 10 minutes, flipping carefully once.
- Serve with your usual burger accompaniments.
Based on a recipe by Sarah Kramer, author of How it All Vegan!, The Garden of Vegan, and La Dolce Vegan. Photograph Meredith Lee/The HSUS. Photograph and recipe courtesy of HSI/Africa.