Vegan Chocolate Protein Cupcake Recipe
So we’ve been featuring tons of Green Monday recipes. But often people cry out that eating vegan is boring – soups and salads and veggie bakes. (But if that’s what you love – check out last week’s Beet, Fennel, and Fig Salad). But this isn’t necessarily true, and you can just as well enjoy some delicious sweet things made without using any animal products. It’s not a myth that exists only at the Oranjezicht City Farm Market. With this vegan chocolate protein cupcake recipe, you can create your own vegan treats!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 scoop of protein of your choice (e.g. pea protein from Dischem)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups non- gmo, gluten-free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Vegan margarine (e.g. Cardin)
For the frosting:
- LeCoquin Signature whipped cream
- 1 Tbsp Pure vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Line a muffin tray / cupcake holder with vegan margarine.
- Add milk and vinegar to measuring cup and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add coconut sugar and vanilla extract, set aside.
- Sift the following dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl: 1 cup of gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and then the remaining 1/2 cup flour.
- Sift the dry ingredients over the coconut sugar and vanilla extract, alternating with the milk mixture. Mix / blend until very well incorporated.
- Divide the mixture among cupcake holders, making sure not to overfill the holders (fill up ¾ of each holder).
- Bake at 160C for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. You will see very slight golden brown colour.
- Let cool completely.
- In the meantime, prepare frosting: Mix the LeCoquin Signature whipped cream with the pure vanilla extract.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, frost the cupcakes and top with cocoa powder.
And there you go, a super delicious vegan chocolate protein cupcake recipe! Enjoy!
Recipe Credit: LeCoQuin for HSI/Africa.