Vegan Chickpea Fudge Recipe
- ½ cup of melted coconut oil
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 3 cardamom pods, opened up
- Grating of nutmeg (or ground nutmeg to taste)
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts
- Line a 10×15 baking tray or a standard bread loaf tin with grease-proof paper. The loaf tin will make a thicker fudge.
- Place the coconut oil in a non-stick pan and heat gently over medium heat.
- Add the chickpea flour and stir to form a smooth paste.
- Toast the mixture in the pan until the chickpea flour gives a subtle nutty aroma, thickens slightly and turns a slight darker shade. This will take about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Take care not to over-cook and keep stirring while you are toasting the flour consistently.
- Once toasted, remove from the heat and pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Now place the coconut sugar, cardamom seeds, nutmeg and water into the same saucepan and stir to dissolve over medium heat. Bring it up to a quick boil and reduce to simmer for about 2 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Return the chickpea flour mixture to the pan with the syrup and stir to combine. Allow to simmer together for a minute or two to thicken and then add your chopped nuts and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tray and allow to set in the fridge for about 2-3 hours or alternatively, 30 minutes in the freezer.
- Slice into pieces and store in a sealed container in the fridge.