You don’t have to forego your love of burgers if you’ve chosen a plant-based lifestyle. Indeed, there are dozens of vegan burger recipes available. Some are heartier, some are more veg-based. This Vegan Beetroot Burger Recipe is of the latter kind, bringing you wonderful veg-based goodness.
The patty combines beetroot and lentils and the whole thing is topped of coriander aioli! Our tip: Skip the bun and turn this into a healthy, low-carb option!
Recipe for 4 large patties.
For the burger patties:
- 1 medium beetroot grated or finely diced
- One tin of lentils, drained
- 1 T tomato paste
- ½ and onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
For the vegan mayo (makes about one to 1.5 cups):
- 300g carton of plain tofu
- 1 tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 1 heaped teaspoon English mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- Combine all ingredients and mix by hand until the lentils are squashed and the mixture comes together and becomes firm.
- Heat a pan and fry a little bit of the mix in some olive oil to check the seasoning; adjust if necessary.
- Divide into your desired sized patties and work them with wet hands to get them to stay together nicely.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Check the flavour and add more acid or seasoning if necessary.
- The mayo needs to rest for about 3 hours so that the flavour can intensify. It can be kept in the fridge for about 3 – 4 days.
To Assemble Your Vegan Beetroot Burger
- Fry the patties in olive oil for about 3 minutes each side.
- Toast the burger bun and smear with the aioli. Layer it up with lettuce, tomato, red onion, gherkins, your patty, fried mushrooms and brinjal. Basically, go wild with whatever toppings and fillings you want! Homemade basil pesto works well too. Serve with crispy onion rings, chips, and some more mayo for dipping.
Looking for more delicious vegan burger recipes? Try these:
The Vegan Beetroot Burger Recipe is courtesy of Chef Alex Poltera for HSI, Africa and Green Monday. Looking for more recipes? We’ve got a host of Burger Recipes and Vegan Recipes. Also, check out our full Recipes Archives.