It’s the third week in our recipe development series with the Sous Chef Cooking Shop in the UK, and this week we have something warm and hearty for you! The last two weeks focused on vegan recipes, with Vegan Miso Aubergine and Vegan Beetroot Wild Rice. But this week we’ve got a gorgeous South East Asian Chicken Stew recipe!
We like to keep our recipes simple and not too complicated – otherwise, you’ll never end up making them! This recipe ended up being slightly more work than anticipated – BUT worth every second. And if you smell these flavours at home, you’ll understand why. You’re welcome 😉
[Looking for another great South-East Asian recipe? Check out our Coconut Crab Curry]
- 2 of each, chicken thigh and legs on the bone
- 2 chicken breasts
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 400ml coconut milk
- 200ml water
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 25g tamarind pulp + 200ml boiling water to make tamarind juice
- Fresh coriander as garnish
- Basmati rice
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 6 dried chillies (you can add more if you desire more heat) or use 1-2 fresh chillies
- 3 lemongrass stalks
- 1 large onion
- 1-inch ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- Place all of the spice ingredients into a blender, make into a paste, and set aside.
- Toast the desiccated coconut in a dry pan over medium heat until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Grab your pestle and mortar and pound desiccated coconut until it’s fine and paste-like.
- Heat up coconut oil in a deep pan or pot over medium heat. Add the blended spice mix and cook until fragrant. About 5-10 minutes.
- Then add the toasted desiccated coconut and mix evenly.
- Add the chicken and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Then add the coconut milk and some water and cook until it thickens. 15-20 minutes.
- Once thickened, remove chicken pieces and debone. Shred into smaller pieces and put back into the stew.
- Add tamarind juice* and cook for further 15 minutes.
- Serve with cooked rice.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
*Tamarind juice: Combine pulp and boiling water and let it soak and soften for 10 minutes. Whisk and stir. Let stand for further 10 minutes. Strain the juice through a sieve and get rid of the pulp.
[Looking for more stew recipes? Check out our South African Lamb Neck Stew]
All I Love Foodies Original Recipes in the UK are created by Kassandra Bruni. Keen to check out some of our other recipes? Last year we partnered with Buy Whole Foods Online for healthy and delicious treats! Check out our full Recipes Archive.
All information correct at time of publication. We do not accept any liability caused by errors, including, but not limited to, changes in price, menu, opening times, address, or other contact details.
All images, unless otherwise stated, belong to I Love Foodies and may not be used for social media, websites, or any other form of advertising without written consent, unless an image is re-posted to directly advertise and link to this review, and with credit given to @ilovefoodiesldn.