Jenny Morris, better known as South Africa’s Giggling Gourmet, knows how to make delicious food. We recently joined her for an online cooking class – such delightful fun – to perfect her Caramelised Apple Pancakes recipe. And this time we joined her for this Savanna Cider scones recipe!
Scones are generally pretty easy to make. We’ve featured a scone recipe before. But the secret ingredient in this recipe is Savanna Jean, a Juniper-flavoured apple cider by the Savanna brand. It’s absolutely delicious on its own, with that slight gin flavour, minus the strong alcohol percentage.
This Savanna cider scones recipe makes 16 – 18 scones.
- 4 cups self-raising flour, sifted 1 cup (250 ml) cream
- 1 cup (250 ml) Savanna Jean (or a sweet soda, like Sprite)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C. Grease a baking tray with butter. Place the flour into a mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and stir in the cream and the Sprite, a little at a time. Make sure that the dough is not too sticky, but don’t let it get dry and crumbling either.
- Lightly flour a clean flat surface and press the dough out to form a rectangle. Using a 2.5 cm cutter, cut out rounds and place them onto the greased baking tray.
- Brush the tops with the beaten egg, and bake the scones for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Cool on a wire cooling rack and serve with whipped cream and strawberry jam.
Savanna Cider Scones Notes
I Love Foodies also creates original recipes. Keen to check some of these out? We’ve recently completed recipe collaborations with Ciao Gusto (Vegan Lasagna), Sous Chef (Vegan Banoffee Pie, Butter Bean Dip, South-East Asian Chicken Stew) and Buy Whole Foods Online (Mince Pies, Amaretto Date Balls, Honey Cinnamon Oat Flour Cake).
Also check out our full Recipes Archive.