Since winter is most definitely coming, we decided to look at some warming Green Monday recipes this week. Who says being vegan is salad and nothing warm and hearty? This week we’re focusing on this vibrant vegan creamy beet soup! Recipe serves four.
- 1kg of beets, peeled
- 1½ cups carrots
- One cup celery, stringed
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger
- 6 cups vegetable stock, or enough to cover
- Coarsely chop all the soup ingredients (beets, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and ginger).
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil, add all of the soup ingredients, and continue cooking at a simmer until all of the vegetables are very tender. Depending on the size of the beets, this could take from 35 to 75 minutes.
- When the vegetables are tender, spoon portions of the soup into a blender, and blend until smooth. (You can also use an immersion blender to blend the soup in the pot.)
- Spoon the blended soup into bowls. Serve this soup hot, or refrigerate it and serve it cold.
There you go, a deliciously warming vegan creamy beet soup. Love beet? Also check out this Beet, Fennel, and Fig Salad. Remember that you’ll find new vegan Green Monday recipes on I Love Foodies every single Monday – making your vegan cooking experience just a little bit easier every week!
Recipe courtesy of Catherine Cunningham for HSI/Africa. Picture by Meredith Lee/The HSUS.