Vegan Chicken-Free Nuggets
Whoop! It’s Green Monday time! We’ve been posting a bunch of Green Monday recipes for you to stick to your vegan goals. Some of them are green and healthy like you’d think vegan recipes would be. Some, like last week’s Vegan Penne Vodka or the Chocolate Protein Cupcakes before that offer you something a little extra. This week we’re looking at a staple – chicken nuggets. Except, these are vegan chicken-free nuggets! Enjoy!
Serves 4 (makes 24 nuggets).
- 450g chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or substitute any white beans)
- 400g potatoes, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups boiled potatoes)
- 1 ½ teaspoons wheat gluten (optional, for firmer texture and ease of flipping)
- 30g dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¾ teaspoon seasoning (or ½ teaspoon rubbed sage)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Dipping sauce: barbecue sauce, tomato sauce, and/or sweet mustard (optional)
- Mash the chickpeas (or white beans) with the potatoes, until there are no whole chunks in the mix. (After starting with a potato masher, you can use your hands.)
- Sprinkle wheat gluten over the mashed chickpea-potato mixture and combine well.
- Add the breadcrumbs and seasonings, and then mix well. Taste to adjust the seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Using a plate or cutting board, form the mixture into 5-centimetre patties, about 1½ centimetres thick. If the mixture feels dry, add water or oil as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until the patties are easy to form and hold their shape.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium to medium-high heat. Fry half the nuggets for about 8 to 10 minutes on each side until they are nicely browned. (Aim for only turning them once or twice.)
- When the first batch is done, move the patties to a paper-towel-lined plate. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining nuggets.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
Homemade vegan chicken-free nuggets! Whoop! Recipe courtesy of Tanya Sitton in All Animals Magazine, provided to I Love Foodies by Humane Society International Africa and Green Monday SA. Photography credit: Meredith Lee/The HSUS.