We’ve had two amazing weeks looking at special braai recipes, but today’s recipe sounds particularly yummy. All recipes are courtesy of the Ultimate Braai Master, and you should totally try these at home!
Rib-Eye Steak with Red Wine Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Braai Time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 6 – 8
- 1 Thick Cut Rib Eye Steak
For Steak Rub:
- A pinch of Salt
- A pinch of Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Robertsons Rosemary & Garlic Spice
- A glug of Olive Oil
For Red Wine Sauce:
- ½ Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Whole Garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup of Red Wine
- ½ cup of Cream
- 2 tsp. Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Robertsons Exotic Thai Spice
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
For Veg Bed:
- 6 Green and Red Spinach Leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 Large Brown Mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 packet of Coppa
- A pinch of Salt
- 2 tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 knobs of Butter
For the Veg Bed:
- Heat a fire-proof pan over moderate coals, and then add the butter.
- Once melted, add the mushrooms and gently sauté.
- Roll the Coppa into disks and then slice into wheels before adding to the mushrooms, stirring frequently.
- Stir through the pepper and spinach and simmer gently.
- After about 5 minutes, spoon the spinach and mushrooms onto a platter as a bed for the steak to be served on.
For the Red Wine Sauce:
- While you are making the vegetables above, start on the sauce.
- On one side of the braai, scrape some coals to the side to reduce the heat, then place a fire-proof sauce pan on the grid.
- Add a glug of oil, then add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft. Add a cup of red wine and let the sauce simmer and reduce for about 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Next, add the lemon juice, seasoning, Exotic Thai Spice and cream.
- Stir though the lemon zest and cook for another 10 minutes, whilst stirring.
- Keep warm while you braai the steak.
For the steak:
- After rubbing the steak with the spice rub, braai the steak on all sides (for a max of 4 minutes a side) or until done until to your liking.
- Let the meat rest before serving on a bed of spinach and drizzle with the red wine sauce.