Over the last few weeks I Love Foodies has been featuring recipes from our InstaEats South Africa Instagram takeover.
Today on I Love Foodies, we’ll be sharing with you a simple and very classy dessert that’s perfect for any occasion: Poached apples, made in mulled wine. Generally this dessert works fantastically with pears, but apples will do just as well.
- A bottle of red wine
- All Spice
- Apples (or pears)
- First up, pour the red wine into a pot. You’re gonna have to cover your fruit, so be generous.
- Then, add in your spices – cinnamon, cloves, All Spice, vanilla, and a dash of lemon, and let it come to a boil.
- In the meantime, peel your apples. You can cut them into halves or quarters if you wish but I like keeping the fruit whole.
- Then, once your wine mixture has heated up sufficiently, add your fruit, and bring down the heat to a simmer.
- This is gonna take a little while as you want your apples to become deliciously soft and absorb all the flavours of the mulled wine.
- Once ready, serve with some custard or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Perfect dessert that’s interesting and not overly sweet. Enjoy!