Lamb Lollipops served with Pea Pesto
- Serves: 4-6
- Prep time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: +- 12-16 minutes
- 6 x 100g lamb steaks or chops with bone and excess sinew removed
- 6 medium wooden skewers soaked in water for 15 minutes
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) olive oil
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups of frozen peas, blanched*
- 100g feta cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ cup (60ml) of mint leaves
- ¼ cup (60ml) of basil leaves
- Handful of chives
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- ¼ cup (60ml) of olive oil
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced and dressed in 2 tsp (10ml) white wine vinegar
- A handful of blanched peas
- Lemon zest
- Roll the lamb into rounds and skewer them to create the lollipops.
- In a shallow dish, combine the lemon juice and zest, rosemary, garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then add the lamb lollies and coat them well with the mixture. Season some more.
- Allow to marinate at room temperature while preparing the pesto and garnishes.
- Place the blanched peas, feta, garlic, herbs and lemon in a food processor and pulse until it forms a chunky pesto. Slowly add the oil until it reaches the desired consistency. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a griddle pan until smoking hot, then reduce to a moderate heat and grill the lamb for 6 to 8 minutes per side (for medium rare to medium) or until cooked to your liking. Make sure all the fat is rendered. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy your lamb lollies with a side of pea pesto and garnish with slices of lightly pickled red onion, a few peas, and lemon zest.
And there you go, simple and easy to make lamb lollipops served with pea pesto. Guaranteed to be a hit at your next dinner party!