Winter might not be everyone’s favourite season, but it is the one where you can readily enjoy Glühwein, which makes it alright by us. Here’s a super simple recipe to make your very own winter warmer!
- ½ orange, sliced
- ½ lemon, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 star anise spice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 200 ml water
- 750 ml Merlot
- 2 tablespoons brandy to taste (optional)
- In a large pot, combine the orange and lemon slices, cinnamon stick, cloves, anise spice, sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar and spices have infused into the water, turn the heat down to a low temperature and pour in Merlot as well as the brandy (if using), while stirring the mixture.
- Heat until steaming and then remove from the heat. Do not boil the Glühwein as this will result in the alcohol evaporating.
- Serve hot in mugs or glasses that have been preheated in warm water (cold glasses will break), using lemon slices or cinnamon sticks for decoration.
- If there is leftover Glühwein after 1 hour of making it, remove the orange and lemon slices so they don’t make the liquid bitter. Store any leftover Glühwein in a glass container at room temperature and consume within two days.
So, there you have it, a super simple Glühwein recipe that’s guaranteed to keep you warm this winter!