The perfect way to start your day! Try out this recipe for home-made granola and you will never look back. The point of making your own (besides working out to be a cheaper option) is that you know exactly what goes into it. This granola is a good combination of carbs, fat, and protein, and has been specifically designed to meet the needs of a busy lifestyle.
Turmeric is added as a natural anti-inflammatory and cinnamon for blood sugar control. Soak it in water for a lower calorie option, or add it to yogurt for a high energy breakfast. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, best make it a good one! Remember that eating breakfast within 2 hours of waking up is associated with improved weight loss and weight maintenance.
- Makes 540g
- Gluten-free / Sugar-free / Vegan / Vegetarian
- 2 cups oats (I use gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds of choice
- 1/2 cup mixed raw nuts, broken up
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 2Tbsp honey (optional)
- 2Tbsp coconut oil
- 1Tbsp cacao (can add more if you want a stronger chocolate flavour)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
Play around with the flavours you enjoy – ones that work for me:
- Vanilla and cinnamon
- Cinnamon and turmeric
- Cinnamon and chocolate
- Chocolate and vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add oats, nuts, seeds and chosen spices to baking tray.
- Add honey, coconut oil and cacao (optional) to a small frying pan and heat on a very low heat until melted and combined.
- Pour liquid over dry ingredients and combine well.
- Flatten and bake for 10 minutes (watch closely).
- Add coconut, raisins and goji berries and mix well before flattening again.
- Bake for a further 5 minutes, or until slightly browned. Be careful not to burn.
- Take out of the oven and give it a mix before leaving to cool.
- Enjoy with yoghurt for breakfast or on its own as a mid-morning snack.
Tip: I like to cover 4 tbsp of granola with boiling water and leave to soak for 20 minutes before eating. This makes the nuts and oats more easily digestible and makes a great warming winter breakfast.
For more Finding Frost recipes, visit the official website here.