We’ve already looked at some pretty exciting Claire Allen recipes in our recipe series. Today we’re moving away from the warm and hearty dishes to indulge in some dessert. First up: Chocolate, Coffee, and Whiskey Brownies!
Chocolate, Coffee, and Whiskey Brownies
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups muscovado sugar
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- ½ butter, melted
- 5 Tbls coffee, pre made
- 120 g bittersweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup cream
- 1 Tbls butter
- Pinch of salt
- 6 Tbls whiskey
- Line an 8×8-inch pan with baking paper, leaving enough paper to hang over the edges. Lightly grease. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cocoa, sugars, flour, coffee, nuts and chocolate chips. Add eggs, butter and coffee, and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan, smoothing the top. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Check to see if it is done by inserting the tip of a knife into the centre. Brownies are done if batter under crust is moist but slightly crumbly. If it appears too wet, return to oven and bake a few minutes longer.
- Set aside on a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least one hour before topping with ganache.
- After brownies have cooled slightly, prepare ganache. Place a small metal or glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (double boiler) and add chocolate chips, butter and heavy cream.
- Melt slowly, mixing constantly so chocolate doesn’t burn. As soon as chocolate is melted, remove from heat and stir in whisky.
- Allow to cool slightly, then pour over brownies.
- Pro-tip: baking paper is essential for this recipe for easy brownie removal.
These are pretty amazing Chocolate, Coffee, and Whiskey Brownies, perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
For more info on Claire, check out her website here.
Stay tuned for our last Claire Allen recipe next week – it’s gonna be a good one!!!