Since we’re always happy to feature recipe series and the fact that we’re hanging out with Claire Allen, Masterchef finalist and cooking extraordinaire, a lot, we decided to feature some of her favourite recipes! So, to begin, here’s her Beef, Onion, and Red Wine Stew and Pie.
Beef, Onion, And Red Wine Stew And Pie
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack beef chuck steak, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp corn flour
- ¼ cup water
- 1 packet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add the oil and beef, and cook in batches for 3-4 minutes or until brown.
- Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock, water, wine and herbs, and cook for an hour and a half or until the beef is tender. You can serve this as a stew with rice or starch of your choice.
- For the pie, mix corn flour with water, and add to the beef, cooking for 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened, then setting aside to cool.
- Spoon the mixture into a dish, roll out the pastry, and cover the dish, removing any excess pastry.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden.
There you go, a delicious and hearty Beef, Onion, And Red Wine Stew And Pie. For more info on Claire, check out her website here.
Stay tuned for another Claire Allen recipe next week!