Who doesn’t love a good baked camembert? We certainly do, and while experimenting and getting your own recipe right is always fun, sometimes it’s nice to just follow a recipe, like this baked camembert with beetroot and red onion compote. Yum. Enjoy!
Baked Camembert with Beetroot and Red Onion Compote
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: About 40 minutes
Beetroot & red onion compote:
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 1 large beetroot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried tarragon
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried thyme
- 1 Tbs (15ml) olive oil
- 80ml Merlot
- 80 ml brown sugar
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) Old Brown or port
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Camembert rounds
- Olive oil to drizzle
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Sliced baguette, toasted and rubbed with garlic and a drizzle of olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- In a small pot, add the onions, beetroot and herbs to the heated oil and lightly sauté for two minutes.
- Add the Merlot, sugar and sherry or port. Mix until evenly combined, cover,and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer over a low heat for another 15 minutes or until the liquid is sticky and reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the Camembert rounds in small skillet pans, add a sprig or two of thyme and drizzle with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the cheese is of a soft, oozy consistency.
- Serve immediately with the red onion and beetroot compote and crusty toasted bread/bruschetta.
So, there you go, a gorgeous baked Camembert with beetroot and red onion compote. For more recipes, check out our recipe archives here.