There’s nothing quite like a delicious stew to keep you healthy and comforted. Try out this gorgeous mushroom stew recipe. We’ve paired it with a soft turmeric maize meal, but you’re welcome to serve it with rice, potatoes, noodles, or anything else your heart may desire.
The stew is great to keep for a day or two – you’ll even find the flavour improving! Recipe serves 4.
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, cut into slices
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 500 gm button mushrooms, wipe clean
- 300 ml (1 ¼ cup) vegetable stock
- 75 ml (5 tablespoons) white wine
- 2,5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) white wine vinegar
- 4 tomatoes, briefly blanched in boiling water, peeled and chopped
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) fresh parsley, finely chopped
Soft turmeric maize meal:
- 750 ml (3 cups) water
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) maize meal
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cream (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and brown gently over low heat. Add the garlic, chilli and the mushrooms, stir and fry gently until the mushrooms soften and the juices begin to run. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add the vegetable stock, wine and black pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the vinegar and correct the seasoning with salt if needed. Cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat the mushroom stew. Add the tomatoes and sprinkle with finely chopped parsley. Serve with the soft maize meal.
- Make the soft maize meal: Bring the water to the boil and add the turmeric and salt. Slowly stir in the maize meal. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the cream, if using, and then cover the saucepan and set aside for 1 hour to thicken.
This mushroom stew recipe is a relatively cheap one to make, and will undoubtedly fill you up. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of The South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association. I Love Foodies also creates original recipes. Keen to check some of these out? We just completed a series of Ciao Gusto recipes, Sous Chef recipes, and, last year, we partnered with Buy Whole Foods Online for healthy and delicious treats! Check out our full Recipes Archive.