National Chilli Day is actually a thing, and this year we’re celebrating with this Mushroom Chilli Con Carne Recipe.
What exactly is chilli con carne? Yes, it may involve chilli and is often simply called “chilli” but it’s not necessarily a spicy dish.
Popular in the USA, chilli con carne (which means “chilli with meat”) is a spicy stew with chilli peppers, meat, tomatoes, and beans.
This recipe adds a few other ingredients for additional flavour and serves 4 – 6.
- 15 ml of oil
- 2 onions, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced
- 2-5 ml cayenne pepper (according to taste)
- 5 ml ground cumin
- 3 ml ground cinnamon
- 250 g lean beef mince
- 250 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 30 ml tomato paste
- 410 g can chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml of beef stock
- Salt and milled black pepper
- 400 g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- Cooked white rice
- Finely diced toppings: tomato, red onion, avocado
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chilli, cayenne pepper, cumin and cinnamon, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add mince and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes, or until the meat is browned.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, and beef stock.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with white rice, diced toppings and coriander leaves (optional).
Mushroom Chilli Con Carne Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.