Galettes are pretty wonderful things. They’re great for breakfast, brunch, or any time in-between. They’re tasty and filling. And this mushroom & cheese galette recipe will give you everything you need to create something delicious.
What exactly is a galette?
There are two main varieties of galette that you have come across:
- Galette: A term used in French cuisine to describe a flat, roundish, crusty cake, traditionally with a sweet filling.
- Breton galette: A pancake made with buckwheat flour, traditionally with a savoury filling.
You’ll notice that this recipe joins the two – classic galette dough with a savoury filling. Call it a French take on pizza, if you will.
This mushroom & cheese galette is paired with a brandy sidecar cocktail to maximise flavour and enjoyment. You’ll find the full recipe for the cocktail below.
Recipe serves 6-8.
Mushroom & Cheese Galette Recipe
- 175g flour
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 120g cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 70g sour cream
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 60ml ice-cold water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 500g mixed cultivated mushrooms, sliced
- 150g grated Havarti or Gruyère cheese
- Handful cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of milk for egg wash
For the pastry:
- Pulse flour and salt together in a food processor to mix.
- Add the butter cubes and pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Whisk together sour cream and lemon juice, add and pulse.
- Slowly drizzle in just enough ice water until a soft dough is formed.
- Knead dough into a ball and then flatten into a disk.
- Wrap very well in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
For the mushroom filling:
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the onion until it is golden brown and beginning to caramelise.
- Add the garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Season well.
- Remove the mushrooms from the heat and turn out onto a chopping board to cool.
- Discard herb stems.
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out cold, rested pastry into a large 30cm circle.
- Transfer onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Sprinkle a little cheese over the base of the pastry.
- Toss the remaining cheese with the cooled mushrooms.
- Arrange the mushrooms in the centre of the pastry, leaving a 4cm border.
- Fold the border up and over the filling, pleating along the way to seal the border.
- Place cherry tomatoes around the mushroom filling and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Egg wash the pastry and season. For extra points, sprinkle a little cheese on the pastry edges.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and deeply golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting into slices and serving.
Upland Brandy Sidecar Recipe
Recipe makes 1 cocktail.
- 50ml brandy
- 25ml triple sec
- 25ml simple syrup
- Orange twist for garnish
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine the brandy, triple sec, and simple syrup.
- Shake well.
- Strain into glass over ice and garnish with a twist of orange.
Mushroom & Cheese Galette Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.
*Disclaimer: This article contains some affiliate links. Affiliate relationships allow us to earn a small commission on sales if you click over from our site. This does not affect the purchasing price. Affiliates help us to finance I Love Foodies. We appreciate your support.