Granola can be the perfect way to start your day. And it’s even better if you make it yourself. Why? Not only is it a cheaper option, but you also know exactly what goes into it. This homemade granola recipe provides a good combination of carbs, fats, and protein, and has been specifically designed to meet the needs of a busy lifestyle. Try it, and you’ll never look back.
Some breakfast tips:
- Eating breakfast within 2 hours of waking up is commonly associated with improved weight loss and weight maintenance.
- Turmeric, added in this recipe, is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Cinnamon is great for blood sugar control.
You can soak your homemade granola in water for a low-calorie option. Alternatively, add it to yoghurt for a high-energy breakfast that will keep you going for hours!
This homemade granola recipe makes approximately 540g of granola. It is also gluten-free and sugar-free and is both vegetarian- and vegan-friendly.
- 2 cups oats (gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup mixed seeds of choice
- 1/2 cup mixed raw nuts, broken up
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 2Tbsp honey (optional)
- 2Tbsp coconut oil
- 1Tbsp cacao (you can add more if you want a stronger chocolate flavour)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
Play around with the flavours you enjoy – ones that work for me:
- Vanilla and cinnamon
- Cinnamon and turmeric
- Cinnamon and chocolate
- Chocolate and vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add oats, nuts, seeds and chosen spices to a baking tray.
- Add honey, coconut oil and cacao (optional) to a small frying pan and heat on a very low heat until melted and combined.
- Pour liquid over dry ingredients and combine well.
- Flatten and bake for 10 minutes (watch closely).
- Add coconut, raisins and goji berries and mix well before flattening again.
- Bake for a further 5 minutes, or until slightly browned. Be careful not to burn.
- Take out of the oven and give it a mix before leaving to cool.
- Enjoy with yoghurt for breakfast or on its own as a mid-morning snack.
Serving suggestion: Cover 4 tbsp of granola with boiling water and leave to soak for 20 minutes before eating. This makes the nuts and oats more easily digestible and makes for a great warming winter breakfast.
Looking for more delicious breakfast ideas? Try some of these: