Fish pie is a healthy and hearty dish to satisfy a hungry family. To help the fish go further, mushrooms provide both flavour and nourishment.
Recipe serves 6.
- 250 gm assorted mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed and quartered
- 250 gm hake, skinned and cut into large pieces
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk
- 60 ml (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 50 gm (1/2 cup) cake flour
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) fresh lemon juice
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) fresh parsley, finely chopped
Mashed potato topping:
- 900 g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) butter
- Milk, as needed
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 ˚C. Grease a 1,5-litre baking dish.
- Place the fish and mushrooms in a large oven proof dish. Bring the milk to the boil and pour over the fish and mushrooms. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fish and mushrooms to a 1,5-litre baking dish. Pour the milk into a jug and set aside. Season the fish and mushrooms with salt and white pepper and set aside.
- Cover the potatoes with cold water. Bring to the boil, add a pinch of salt, and cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes. Mash the potatoes with the butter, adding a little milk if the mash seems to dry. Season well with salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft. Stir in the flour, and then remove from the heat. Slowly stir in the reserved milk from cooking the fish and keep on stirring until you have a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring all the time, until cooked and thickened. Stir in the lemon juice and check the seasoning. Stir in the parsley. Pour the sauce over the fish and mushrooms.
- Top the fish with the mashed potatoes and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Serve at once.
Hake Pie Recipe Notes
Also, check out our full Recipes Archive.