VEGAN VEGGIE TEMPURA RECIPE
This week for Green Monday, we’re looking at something warm and hearty for those cold winter days. Check out the vegan veggie tempura recipe below. And don’t forget to browse back through our Vegan Archives to see all our vegan recipes.
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups sparkling spring water
- 1 litre canola oil
- Vegetables sliced for tempura, such as baby marrows, cauliflower, broccoli
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 cup tamari
- Heat oil in a pot placed over high heat.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and water.
- Dip vegetables in batter and fry in batches. You’ll know the oil is hot enough when you insert a wooden spoon and little bubbles form around it. Place vegetable pieces on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Combine all dipping sauce ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the tempura.
- Add one cup sparkling water to the mixture first. If it’s too thick, add more until the batter is pancake consistency.
- To test whether the oil is hot enough, insert a wooden spoon and if lots of tiny bubbles appear around the spoon, the oil is ready.
Enjoy this delicious vegan veggie tempura recipe – make it on its own or as part of a feast.
Recipe courtesy of Amy Hopkins for HSI Africa. Photo by Micky Hoyle.