This week for Green Monday, we’re looking at another warm and hearty dish to keep you satisfied this winter. We hope you enjoy this Vegan Vegetable Potjie Recipe. And don’t forget to browse back through our Vegan Archives to see all our vegan recipes – you’ll find all kinds of things there!
- 2 packets of Fry’s Spicy Curry pieces
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) chops & steak seasoning
- ¼ cup (125ml) corn flour
- 2 onions, cut in wedges
- 2 celery sticks, chopped (no leaves)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 medium zucchinis, cut in chunks
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Ina Paarman stock powder
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Dulse flakes (or nori sheet flakes)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 fresh sprig of rosemary
- ½ cup (125ml) of gin
- ½ (375ml) bottle of red wine
- 1 (500ml) cup water (as needed)
- Thaw, rinse, and dry the Fry’s curry pieces. Roll the pieces in a mixture of 2 tablespoons Chops & Steak seasoning and ¼ cup corn flour. Brown the pieces in a bit of oil until crispy. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients in a big potjie pot and mix well.
- Put the lid on and place the pot on a gas stove over low heat, or over warm braai coals.
- Let it simmer for 1 -2 hours until the carrots are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if need be (use pink salt and extra stock powder if required).
- Use a potato masher and mash sweet potato and zucchinis to thicken the sauce, or use water for a thinner consistency.
- Serve with cooked rice.
Recipe courtesy of Toni Brockhoven for HSI Africa.