STRAWBERRY-SPINACH SALAD WRAPS WITH ORANGE POPPY SEED DRESSING
Last week we introduced you to some of the Green Monday SA vegan concepts. Going meat-free can be hard if you’re not used to it, but luckily there are some amazing recipes out there that can help you stick to your Green Monday pledge.
Here’s one vegan recipe for gorgeous strawberry-spinach salad wraps. Recipe serves 4-6.
For the wraps:
- 4x 30cm whole-wheat tortilla wraps
- 2 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- 2 cups arugula, loosely packed (or more baby spinach)
- 1 punnet strawberries, tops removed and sliced thin
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds (optional)
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Prepare the salad by combining the spinach, arugula, edamame, strawberries and avocado in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Using a blender or a whisk, combine all dressing ingredients (except the poppy seeds) until emulsified, then stir in the poppy seeds.
- Pour most of the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix well.
- Reserve 1 to 2 tablespoons of dressing for the wraps.
- To assemble the wraps, brush a little of the reserved dressing on a tortilla and then add the salad ingredients. Sprinkle a few toasted almonds, if using, over the salad, then roll up the wrap.
Simple and delicious vegan recipe, right? It looks so good we wanna try this right now!
Recipe by Kelly L. Williams/The HSUS. Photo by Amie Chou/The HSUS. Recipe and photos courtesy of Humane Society International, Africa.