Vegan Lemony Couscous Recipe
Ok, it’s been cold. Superbly cold. So this week for Green Monday, we’re looking at something warm – vegan lemony couscous with chickpeas. There’s tons more warm stuff coming up, but we’ve already covered lots in our Vegan Archives.
This recipe serves four. Enjoy.
- 350g uncooked couscous
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 575ml boiling water
- 2 lemons
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 x 400g of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped black olives
- One or more of:
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- ½ cup (half a small bunch) finely chopped fresh parsley
- Half a bunch / ½ cup finely chopped scallions (spring onions)
- ½ cup (half a small bunch) minced fresh mint
- Garnish: ½ cup chopped toasted almonds
- Put the couscous and salt into a bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Cover and set aside for about 10 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- Grate the lemon peels and juice the lemons.
- Stir together the lemon zest, ¼ cup of juice, and the olive oil.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork, separating any lumps. Add the chickpeas, olives, the lemon-and-oil mixture, and the herbs and toss well. Add more salt to taste if needed.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Top with the toasted almonds just before serving.
Recipe slightly adapted from of Moosewood Restaurant’s Simple Suppers cookbook. Photograph Meredith Lee/The HSUS. Recipe courtesy of HSI Africa.